Skip to main content

Week 1 Wrap Up

Today we wrapped up our letter x activities.  I am pleasantly surprised that I was able to finish the week in a week. I thought I might need the weekend days to finish up.

Sensory Activity
My lesson plan calls for a sensory activity each week. We may explore things that may be considered sensory but these once a week activities are more the 'sensory bin' types or small world play.
I ended up with two bins this week.  1 planned, 1 spontaneous but it worked out great!
As you know we have been practicing rectangles.  As I was cleaning up toys I noticed a lot of the toys were rectangles.
What a perfect way to practice rectangles!

The second bin was a rice sensory bin.  
To go along with our explorers theme I hid purple gems in the rice for my little dragon to find.  He had to explore the rice to find the gems.
I thought he would enjoy finding them all but every one he found he buried again.  Therefore the rice is still full of gems. :)

Circle Time




We practiced making x's with different parts of our bodies to music.  Arms, fingers, and legs on Thursday.
On Friday we made x's with Popsicle sticks and played tic-tac-toe outside.











X Folder and Activities
Spencer finished his x folder activities. 


















 There was some handwriting practice, rectangle tracing, and the little dragon painted a xylophone.

 I am very happy I found this craft.  We practiced rectangles, the letter x, colors, and sorting lengths.
When all activities in the X Folder were finished Spencer earned his special Daddy Folder.
















The daddy folder is an idea that just came to me while I was organizing my preschool stuff.  We bought clipboard folders for vacation and I wanted to use them for preschool but had nothing, no ideas.
I was about to store them away when I got the Daddy Folder idea.
Daddy Folder


This was the first folder.  Spencer was so excited to carry the folder to Jerry and complete the activity inside.

This was really easy to prepare.  I put the colors needed for the activity in a Ziploc bag and wrote Spencer's name one it.  Then I clipped the hidden picture and the Ziploc bag in the folder.  Wa la! Done.
Practiced

  • colors
  • recognizing A,B,C,D
Most important they completed it together! 


I will link all my daddy folder ideas here.

Rolling out playdough! 



God bless and I hope I may have inspired some exploring this week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teeth Craft

This craft went with our meat eater unit you can see here

I was having a difficult time thinking of activities for meat eaters.  I didn't want the sole focus to be on dinosaurs because carnivores and herbivores is a way to categorize many animals today. But everything I was running into was dinosaur related. 
Finally I found this craft! 
Materials: 

paper template of a carnivore and herbivore (I drew a hippo and t-rex head outline) page of teethscissorsgluemarkers







Little Dragon cut out the heads and then the mouth pieces. 
Then he cut out the teeth and glued them inside the mouth
To finish it he drew eyes on the head and a tongue on the inside of the mouth. 

Little Dragon was very excited to see the finished animals and open their mouths to look at their teeth.

















We wrote what the animal was on the inside


This was a fun easy craft that helps identify the difference in the teeth between carnivore and herbivore.  It is a visual reference that can be used again and again.  It can also be used for…

Paint Squirt Gun Fight

I was waiting for the perfect opportunity to do this activity ever since I saw a post about painting with squirt guns.

Paint squirt gun fight!  And it was AMAZING! 
I first bought an 8 pack of large boys white t-shirts.  I wanted the shirts to fit all of the kids and I wanted them to be able to save the shirts for the future. The 8 pack was perfect.
I filled the water guns up with paint and a pinch of water.  Each gun had a different color so we could determine a 'winner'. 
I squirted each 'player' with their color first.  So they knew their color and to demonstrate where to aim. 


Talking about the aim was very important.  All of the kids involved were 4 and above.  Aim had to be in the tummy or the back.  No faces, bottoms, heads/hair, or legs. We didn't want paint in eyes, noses, or mouths. The other places would be more difficult to clean and giving two aiming places was simple.����������������������������������������������������������������������������������������…

Elephant Faces

Elephant Faces (masks)
We used: 


Three paper platesPaint or markersPaint brushesStaplerScissorsYarnFirst paint the bottom of the paper plate.  While the kids painted I cut the other paper plate in half for the ears. Using the third plate I cut out the textured part of the plate to make the trunks.  
Paint (or color) the rest of the pieces. 
Staple them together to make an elephant.
Cut out small holes for eyes and small holes behind the ears to attach the yarn.

Now that the lesson is over I have the masks hanging in the playroom.  They make a neat decoration.