Skip to main content

Growing Great Learners

A new week starts a new letter.
This week we are focused on the letter g and creation.

To begin our day we read the bible story about creation then prayed.

Circle Time
We sang the Creation Song day 1 and day 2 and used the magnetic board pieces for sensory and visual learning about day 1 and day 2 of creation.

I introduced the letter G and the "g-g-g-G for g-g-g-Garden!" saying and hand motion.  For this letter the kids crouch down then slowly grow like a garden while saying the sound.  We did this with just our arms when the dragons were sitting in their desks.  I asked the boys "what is a garden?" and "where do you find them?"  I love listening to their answers.  I didn't get any silly answers to share today they both stated 'flowers'.

We listened and sang to He's Got the Whole World in His Hands 3x while dancing around to release some energy.

I took some jackets out of the closet so we could practice zipping too!


 And our usual weather, calendar, time, ABC, and number review. 
I printed out a calendar for Spencer to color the day in each day.  It will help us practice patterns and numbers. 

Science
We fit some science in today!  I was very excited.  I planned a science activity last week but we didn't get a chance to do it.
Last night (the night before the lesson) I put some seeds in a jar of water and some on a tray for observation with a magnifying glass.
This drew their attention almost all day! 

They really enjoyed looking at them and picking them up.  Exploring the seeds.  This year is all about exploring!

At the end of the day we wet a napkin and put the seeds we had on the tray on the napkin and folded it up. The boys placed them in plastic bags and put them in a dark place.  We will check it in a few days.

Craft
My little dragon is making a Creation Book this week and today we completed the first two days.

Day 1-Light and Dark
Materials

  • Blank sheet of white paper
  • Yellow colored pencils
  • Black colored pencils
  • Blue colored pencils

I gave the kids a blank white sheet of paper and multiple yellows, dark blues, and black colored pencils.  I explained the yellows were light the others dark.  They colored the page how they liked. They turned out great!

Day 2- Water and Sky
Materials

  • Blank white paper
  • Blue foam
  • Cotton balls
  • Scissors
After extensive exploring of the cotton balls the little dragons were ready for instructions.  They identified the 'water' from the 'clouds' then began cutting the water.  I showed them an example but they both enjoyed cutting strips in the foam.  It was good scissor practice. 
Next we glued the 'water' to the bottom of the page and the 'clouds' to the top. 


Story Board-Books Alive
Unfortunately I have not had time to go to the library and have been using books on hand for our normal story time.   I Googled Goldilocks and The Three Bears while lesson planning (because it starts with the letter G) and found felt board story pieces.  I cut them out of paper and used them on the magnetic board for our story before nap. I left it up on the magnetic board for the duration of the day so the kids could use it to tell their own version of the story. It will be up for the rest of the week. 
You can find more story board or books alive ideas here.



Felt Board
Hahaha!  I finally figured out how to bring a felt board into the classroom!  I am excited for the possibilities of what can come in the future.  

Today we used the felt board with flowers.  I ordered flower from the boys to place in their little felt pots.  Great for color practice, addition, counting, and following directions. 

Spencer's mema and I found an easel for $15 at a local church sale.  Not only is it going to be great for art but I simply draped a yard of felt over the easel and wa-la a felt board! 





There was some handwriting practice today to.  I was having a real hard time getting the boys to cooperate until I brought out the stickers.  For ever 2 g's they traced they received another sticker.  I told them they were super stars with three stars on their paper.  It worked out nicely. 

At the end of the day I released the boys into the play room.  I set up a small flower shop for them.  Using the leafs from last weeks dramatic play and the tall boxes on their sides for a counter.  
Of course you can never anticipate what the kids will imagine and pretend.  They boys ended up crawling in the boxes and played house.  They still played with the props just differently then I thought they would. 

I was angry and frustrated today. Even after multiple prayers I was agitated and anxious.  Every time I tried to introduce a new activity the boys both groaned or claimed to be tired.  I stuck it out and they enjoyed every activity.  
I kept asking myself if I was wrong.  Perhaps they didn't like preschool and I should allow them to play. After some reflection I reminded myself that I chose this plan for my kids.  For them to enjoy.  They did enjoy them I just wasn't presenting them well enough.  

During the kids nap I took a quick nap.  I woke feeling much better and the remaining lessons went better.  I think I just needed some sleep. I woke up this morning sweaty from nightmares. 
While the kids went down for dramatic play I put on some Hillsong.  I was feeling better.  
Thanks to the big man upstairs. :)













Comments

  1. This is great! Thanks for sharing! You have awesome activities!
    http://youngnasawife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for inviting me back to your blog. It has been many days since I came to your site. This profile is interesting to read. I appreciate you for sharing this. The profile I read today caught my attention. I'm interested in reading this profile. I have explained this in detail in my profile. It took a lot of time and effort to create this profile. Feel free to comment! Spacebar Counter

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Elephant Faces

Elephant Faces (masks) We used:  Three paper plates Paint or markers Paint brushes Stapler Scissors Yarn First paint the bottom of the paper plate.  While the kids painted I cut the other paper plate in half for the ears. Using the third plate I cut out the textured part of the plate to make the trunks.   Paint (or color) the rest of the pieces.  Staple them together to make an elephant. Cut out small holes for eyes and small holes behind the ears to attach the yarn. Now that the lesson is over I have the masks hanging in the playroom.  They make a neat decoration. 

Painting With Squirt Guns

We did this as a Fathers Day project, but it fits in outside play perfectly.   I liked this for Fathers because it was an interactive activity for the kids to do with Jerry to celebrate him and the time they enjoy spending with him. I filled 1 gun with yellow paint and 2 guns with black paint.  The squirt guns we used were from the dollar store and had a decently big hole to pour the paint into.  Some squirt guns have itty bitty holes that make squirting paint into the gun very difficult. Taped off the canvas...and made the kids pose Then the guns were handed to the kids and dad.  Instructions were to shoot the canvas not each other. Very simple. Start squirting!   The squirting went on and on.  I refilled the guns a couple times so the activity could continue.     Jerry also took time with each Dragon to squirt with them.  With a Star Wars theme we were looking at having black as the primary color and yellow as the secondar

Mini Story Boards

Mini Story Boards We used:  Foam Cookie sheets Magnets Paper I found the cookie sheets at the dollar store and loved the idea of the kids telling their own stories using movable magnets.   I cut out flowers with the foam (you can cut out any design and use construction paper instead of foam) and little people then stuck a magnet to the back.  I cut out bugs and stuck magnets to the back of those too.    Then I drew little scenes that would inspire a story and put them on the cookie sheet.  One demonstration and their imaginations took off on their own :)