Skip to main content

Grey Spider, Fairy, and Elephants

Pretending to be elephants! 

I had a good day today and the kids had a mostly good day. 
I ran into a couple problems with listening and Spencer's attention span during reading time was low. 
But as I mentioned yesterday I want the kids to have the oppertunity to play and learn, him being younger and not quiet to the level of the older kids I wanted him to do what interested him. 

Stations: 
Reading station-Nothing new here
Sensory station-I left out Legos and playdough
Books alive-I created a new station after watching Spring into Reading.  It was spur of the moment, so pretty simple.  I cut circles out of yellow foam and put them in a mason jar to go along with Ten Flashing Fireflies book.  I put it out with the book, ten elephants, and two stick people to add to the possibilities of retelling the story. 
Note: The mason jar is glass and won't work for every child and may need supervised. 

Preschool-
We read Noahs Ark and briefly discussed rainbows.  We went over Noah's ark awhile ago and Athena remembered the lesson very well.  It was more of a review. 

We sang the '5 Finger Jive' for math today.  Very short math lesson, but catchy. 

The kids were hungry for their snack almost as soon as we started today so I incorporated their snack into the lesson to get both done at once.  

They placed their snack on top of the letter before tracing it.   

Then I asked the kids to mark their favorite 'E' thing listed on the bottom of the sheet.  They explained what they chose and why they liked it.  This allowed discussion between the kids and Spencer was able to participate too! 

The E book activity takes awhile to complete.  I always go by what how much the kids are interested in with this book.  Sometimes they get bored quickly and we split the activity into multiple days.  

Today I turned on some instrumental music (Guild Wars 2 soundtrack) while they colored and practiced writing the E words on the sheet.   

Spencer is not so great with handwriting, yet, so I brought out the workbook to work on his colors.  The older kids listened in and were excited to do the color grey activity. 



I gave Spencer a picture of an elephant and he picked out a grey colored pencil and colored it grey. 

Athena and Liam drew something grey.

Athena drew a grey fairy named EE 
Liam drew a spider named EE OO LL.

I loved the way they turned out!  I did not rattle off any ideas to them before letting them draw and love the creations! 

The letter E book and grey coloring/art activity took up most of our day.  
After lunch we went outside to play for about 20 mins because it was too cold to stay out longer. 
When we came back in we watched our series of E videos and pretended to be Elephants through all of them!  

I had my own trunk too! 


Circle time
Being worn out from all the running around the kids were ready to sit and listen to some stories. 

We read our books and sang our elephant songs.  I introduced new vocab then left them to play with the story board. 
I pulled out magnets and made some new foam shapes for the kids to manipulate.  There are elephants there as well.  
I did not introduce this until the end of the day because I wanted Athena and Spence to have the opportunity to play with it tomorrow. 

No problem with that because Athena built a town instead (no complaints about the board being put away.) 
When Spencer woke up they played with it together! 

You can't tell from the picture but there are layers and ally's between all those Legos that the kids moved their people through.  

When we finished dinner it was just Athena, Jerry, and I and we read the next chapter of our 'Enchanted Story' 
Our characters met the Fairy Godchicken and encountered the Big Scary Forest Monster! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elephant Faces

Elephant Faces (masks) We used:  Three paper plates Paint or markers Paint brushes Stapler Scissors Yarn First paint the bottom of the paper plate.  While the kids painted I cut the other paper plate in half for the ears. Using the third plate I cut out the textured part of the plate to make the trunks.   Paint (or color) the rest of the pieces.  Staple them together to make an elephant. Cut out small holes for eyes and small holes behind the ears to attach the yarn. Now that the lesson is over I have the masks hanging in the playroom.  They make a neat decoration. 

Painting With Squirt Guns

We did this as a Fathers Day project, but it fits in outside play perfectly.   I liked this for Fathers because it was an interactive activity for the kids to do with Jerry to celebrate him and the time they enjoy spending with him. I filled 1 gun with yellow paint and 2 guns with black paint.  The squirt guns we used were from the dollar store and had a decently big hole to pour the paint into.  Some squirt guns have itty bitty holes that make squirting paint into the gun very difficult. Taped off the canvas...and made the kids pose Then the guns were handed to the kids and dad.  Instructions were to shoot the canvas not each other. Very simple. Start squirting!   The squirting went on and on.  I refilled the guns a couple times so the activity could continue.     Jerry also took time with each Dragon to squirt with them.  With a Star Wars theme we were looking at having black as the primary color and yellow as the secondar

Mini Story Boards

Mini Story Boards We used:  Foam Cookie sheets Magnets Paper I found the cookie sheets at the dollar store and loved the idea of the kids telling their own stories using movable magnets.   I cut out flowers with the foam (you can cut out any design and use construction paper instead of foam) and little people then stuck a magnet to the back.  I cut out bugs and stuck magnets to the back of those too.    Then I drew little scenes that would inspire a story and put them on the cookie sheet.  One demonstration and their imaginations took off on their own :)