Skip to main content

Over O (wrap up week 19)

Bible
The second half of the week we took our understanding of Mary and Martha a bit further by acting it out.  Putting on their shoes per say.
The Dragons used the felt board for a retelling.


They also used puppets to act out the story. 

We continued to focus on our bible verse as well.  We played a matching game and did a simple craft. 
I printed out 2 sets of the bible verse and cut each word out.  We used the pieces for a matching game.  
After all the matches were found all the pieces were put back in the middle face up.  
The Dragons then put the verse together in the right order from start to finish and glued it onto a blue piece of paper.



Blue
Little Dragon colored his blue dinosaurs for his color book.
Many of our activities incorporated blue without the sole focus being on blue.


Alphabet
To decorate the letter o printout the dragons used bottle caps.  This was a really fun activity, a new way to paint.  I have a collection of bottle caps from another activity earlier in the year and this was the perfect time to bring them out and put them to good use.
Bottle caps make perfect o's! You can see the craft below.



The Dragons used highlighter to write the letter O in their alphabet journals.  They also glued some O pictures to the page.

Doll Dragon had her finger puppet panda help her with the o's. The panda was left handed.



Crafts
Bottle Cap Painting
Materials

  • bottle caps (including: water bottles, milk jugs, orange juice gallons, peanut butter lids, etc.)
  • paint
  • paper
First we painted our letter O for the week but that wasn't enough bottle cap painting for The Dragons.  
They each asked for more paper and continued stamping. 
Doll Dragon experimented dragging the caps across the paper.
Little Dragon overlapped the cap stamps to look like links. 
















Fruit Loop O's
Materials: 
  • Fruit loops 
  • Construction paper
I had these empty O pages from last years preschool so I used them to supplement this weeks sensory bin. 
The o's were already printed on these pages but you could also have the kids make an O' with the cheerios. 
I had My Dragons fill in the block letter. 











Sensory
There were two sensory activities this week.  The O cereal bin and an Octopus bath.   The Dragons have been asking me to put together another sensory bath for a couple weeks so I added it in this week.


Cereal 'O' Sensory

This is one of the easiest bins I have ever set up or cleaned.  It was also very colorful.  I used Cheerios, Fruit Loops, and Apple Jacks for the bin.  The bin started with the cereals separated but of course it didn't take long for it to be a soup of O cereal.

I like this bin because it incorporates a few senses: touch, smell, and taste.  My kids don't get the chance to touch their food during meal time so they were very excited to experiment with this bin.

They also ate the bin :) 

Next was the...


How to: 
This took me awhile to set up but The Dragons were amazed when they came into the bathroom.
I bought some green window markers for St. Patrick's day that I used to paint the octopus on the wall.  The eye's are foam.  I taped a table cloth over the top of the shower curtain and to the wall.  Then I taped ribbons and streamers hanging down from the table cloth to make it look like seaweed hanging from the cave ceiling.  I was a bit dry on some materials due to a tight budget but The Dragons are none the wiser.

In the bath I put little rubber spike balls and called them baby octopus.  (I didn't have any manipulatives).

I also set up some buckets of sea shells for playing pretend.

You could also have an opposite bath.  There are many opposites you can explore in the tub.  I just didn't have the time or the supplies to make it happen.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elephant Faces

Elephant Faces (masks) We used:  Three paper plates Paint or markers Paint brushes Stapler Scissors Yarn First paint the bottom of the paper plate.  While the kids painted I cut the other paper plate in half for the ears. Using the third plate I cut out the textured part of the plate to make the trunks.   Paint (or color) the rest of the pieces.  Staple them together to make an elephant. Cut out small holes for eyes and small holes behind the ears to attach the yarn. Now that the lesson is over I have the masks hanging in the playroom.  They make a neat decoration. 

Painting With Squirt Guns

We did this as a Fathers Day project, but it fits in outside play perfectly.   I liked this for Fathers because it was an interactive activity for the kids to do with Jerry to celebrate him and the time they enjoy spending with him. I filled 1 gun with yellow paint and 2 guns with black paint.  The squirt guns we used were from the dollar store and had a decently big hole to pour the paint into.  Some squirt guns have itty bitty holes that make squirting paint into the gun very difficult. Taped off the canvas...and made the kids pose Then the guns were handed to the kids and dad.  Instructions were to shoot the canvas not each other. Very simple. Start squirting!   The squirting went on and on.  I refilled the guns a couple times so the activity could continue.     Jerry also took time with each Dragon to squirt with them.  With a Star Wars theme we were looking at having black as the primary color and yellow as the secondar

Mini Story Boards

Mini Story Boards We used:  Foam Cookie sheets Magnets Paper I found the cookie sheets at the dollar store and loved the idea of the kids telling their own stories using movable magnets.   I cut out flowers with the foam (you can cut out any design and use construction paper instead of foam) and little people then stuck a magnet to the back.  I cut out bugs and stuck magnets to the back of those too.    Then I drew little scenes that would inspire a story and put them on the cookie sheet.  One demonstration and their imaginations took off on their own :)