Skip to main content

Dancing Raisins and Racing Jelly Fish

We just finished up a week of opposites and this science experiment, dancing raisins, was suggested to go along with the theme.  It is suggested because the raisins go up and down (which are opposites) during the experiment.

Materials;
  • 1/4 glass of water
  • 4 T vinegar
  • 3 t baking soda
  • some raisins
We do not have clear glasses but I had a mason jar so we used that.   
Fill the glass 1/4 of the way with water then add the vinegar. 
Next add the baking soda slowly. 
Drop in the raisins. 
Then it is a waiting game. 

The instructions did say you would be waiting for awhile but after 20 minutes with no movement from the raisins we were doubting the experiment would work. 

We added more vinegar and baking soda thinking that the mason jar is bigger then most glasses so the solution may be deluded.  We tried small amounts at first then added larger amounts until we had the effect of overflowing. 

We waited some more. 

No dancing raisins. 

We took a minute to explain to The Dragons what was supposed to happen then left the jar to sit. 
Ideally the carbon dioxide or bubbles would settle on top/side of the raisins.  Once there were enough bubbles to cover the raisin it would float to the top of the liquid, the bubbles would pop and the raisin would sink back down to the bottom.  Then the process would start over again.  All the raisins would be doing this at different times making it look like the raisins were 'dancing'. 

After a couple hours of periodically checking The Dragons excitedly told us that one of the raisins made it to the top. 


We also did a Kiwi Crate this week. 

These jellyfish were fun to make and there was an abundance of supplies so the kids could make them however they wanted. 

I love Kiwi Crates because everything you need and then some is already packed up in a box and ready to go.  All the crafts are easy to make and the directions are simple enough my 3 year old has no problem following. 

First things first The Dragons had to create their racing jellyfish.  They took time placing each sticker and eye.  Doll Dragon even measured hers to make sure it was just right. 

There was some help from the parents securing the jellyfish to the string. 

Then it was time to start the race! 



We counted down and The Dragons pulled their strings apart propelling their jellyfish as fast as they could! 

They competed again and again until I wanted a chance to race.  I raced the winner then Jerry raced me.  
Then we all took turns racing each other.  We were quiet entertained :)

We still have the racing jellyfish out for spur of the moment races.  







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teeth Craft

This craft went with our meat eater unit you can see here

I was having a difficult time thinking of activities for meat eaters.  I didn't want the sole focus to be on dinosaurs because carnivores and herbivores is a way to categorize many animals today. But everything I was running into was dinosaur related. 
Finally I found this craft! 
Materials: 

paper template of a carnivore and herbivore (I drew a hippo and t-rex head outline) page of teethscissorsgluemarkers







Little Dragon cut out the heads and then the mouth pieces. 
Then he cut out the teeth and glued them inside the mouth
To finish it he drew eyes on the head and a tongue on the inside of the mouth. 

Little Dragon was very excited to see the finished animals and open their mouths to look at their teeth.

















We wrote what the animal was on the inside


This was a fun easy craft that helps identify the difference in the teeth between carnivore and herbivore.  It is a visual reference that can be used again and again.  It can also be used for…

Paint Squirt Gun Fight

I was waiting for the perfect opportunity to do this activity ever since I saw a post about painting with squirt guns.

Paint squirt gun fight!  And it was AMAZING! 
I first bought an 8 pack of large boys white t-shirts.  I wanted the shirts to fit all of the kids and I wanted them to be able to save the shirts for the future. The 8 pack was perfect.
I filled the water guns up with paint and a pinch of water.  Each gun had a different color so we could determine a 'winner'. 
I squirted each 'player' with their color first.  So they knew their color and to demonstrate where to aim. 


Talking about the aim was very important.  All of the kids involved were 4 and above.  Aim had to be in the tummy or the back.  No faces, bottoms, heads/hair, or legs. We didn't want paint in eyes, noses, or mouths. The other places would be more difficult to clean and giving two aiming places was simple.����������������������������������������������������������������������������������������…

Elephant Faces

Elephant Faces (masks)
We used: 


Three paper platesPaint or markersPaint brushesStaplerScissorsYarnFirst paint the bottom of the paper plate.  While the kids painted I cut the other paper plate in half for the ears. Using the third plate I cut out the textured part of the plate to make the trunks.  
Paint (or color) the rest of the pieces. 
Staple them together to make an elephant.
Cut out small holes for eyes and small holes behind the ears to attach the yarn.

Now that the lesson is over I have the masks hanging in the playroom.  They make a neat decoration.