Skip to main content

Torn Paper Art

I couldn't find a good art or craft activity for super heroes I searched Pintrest and asked social media to no avail.

I do have to be grateful though because this is when I get creative.

I had The Dragons separate into two groups for this craft because I wanted them to work in teams.  We have been having some selfish attitudes so I wanted to encourage team work.

We had the older girls in one group and the boys in the other.

My original plan was for this craft to correlate to the building your super hero craft.  As it goes though I am teaching preschoolers and their minds change, they get distracted, or they forget previous activities.  

I explained we would be making torn paper art which means you don't use scissors.
I asked them to make a superhero scene.  The heroes could be doing whatever they wanted and it could be any made up or real super hero.

The boys chose Spider Man. 

The girls chose Tigress and her friend who owned a big cat. 

Materials: 

  • Large craft paper for the background
  • scrap paper to be torn up
  • glue
  • markers
I did ask that markers were not used until all of the paper was glued down.  I knew if markers were free in the beginning then not as much ripping, tearing, and gluing would be going on.  It would all be drawn in marker.  I explained that this wasn't a drawing craft and that marker could help make detail.  This was a new concept but The Dragons didn't mind at all waiting to use the markers. 

The boys kept to the same theme and idea throughout the activity.  
They did great on coming up with things to add to their city such as grass, clouds, buildings, bridges, and water under the bridge. 

They also worked very well together.  
I did help them tear out the two 'spider-man' people but they did the rest on their own. 

The ladies didn't so much agree as both added their ideas.  Doll Dragon wanted the focus to be cats, where Cousin Dragon wanted the hero to be Tigress.
The white on the bottom are their people it is just hard to see the detail.  The house is on fire to the right.

Towards the end of the activity the selfish attitudes came back and they ended up scribbling over each others work because they didn't like it and were not communicating.  They were not finished with the project but this is what they completed.  


I liked this craft because I love the look of torn paper coming together to make an art project.  
I hung them up on our preschool wall. 

The boys were very proud! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elephant Faces

Elephant Faces (masks) We used:  Three paper plates Paint or markers Paint brushes Stapler Scissors Yarn First paint the bottom of the paper plate.  While the kids painted I cut the other paper plate in half for the ears. Using the third plate I cut out the textured part of the plate to make the trunks.   Paint (or color) the rest of the pieces.  Staple them together to make an elephant. Cut out small holes for eyes and small holes behind the ears to attach the yarn. Now that the lesson is over I have the masks hanging in the playroom.  They make a neat decoration. 

Painting With Squirt Guns

We did this as a Fathers Day project, but it fits in outside play perfectly.   I liked this for Fathers because it was an interactive activity for the kids to do with Jerry to celebrate him and the time they enjoy spending with him. I filled 1 gun with yellow paint and 2 guns with black paint.  The squirt guns we used were from the dollar store and had a decently big hole to pour the paint into.  Some squirt guns have itty bitty holes that make squirting paint into the gun very difficult. Taped off the canvas...and made the kids pose Then the guns were handed to the kids and dad.  Instructions were to shoot the canvas not each other. Very simple. Start squirting!   The squirting went on and on.  I refilled the guns a couple times so the activity could continue.     Jerry also took time with each Dragon to squirt with them.  With a Star Wars theme we were looking at having black as the primary color and yellow as the secondar

Mini Story Boards

Mini Story Boards We used:  Foam Cookie sheets Magnets Paper I found the cookie sheets at the dollar store and loved the idea of the kids telling their own stories using movable magnets.   I cut out flowers with the foam (you can cut out any design and use construction paper instead of foam) and little people then stuck a magnet to the back.  I cut out bugs and stuck magnets to the back of those too.    Then I drew little scenes that would inspire a story and put them on the cookie sheet.  One demonstration and their imaginations took off on their own :)