Skip to main content

Bug Story

I love hearing creative stories from my dragons.  They are usually so creative and sometimes so random!  I think this is great.  It gives some insight into how a preschooler things, where they get some of their abstract ideas, and how innocent and unshaped they still are.

I always tell myself I will take more time for story telling and fail often.  I give The Dragons opportunities to tell stories with story boards but sometimes the real creativity come out when they have an adult audience.

For our summer bug theme I encouraged The Dragons to take on the mindset of a bug and tell me a story from their perspective.

This was easier for Summer Dragon, the oldest of the group who is with us during summer break.  Doll Dragon had a harder time putting herself in someone else's shoes per-say, Little Dragon didn't really grasp the concept so he just told me a story.


Summer Dragon was an ant in his story. 
I started him off by giving him a paperclip to look at and hold.  I asked him, "What would an ant think or do with that?"
This gave him a start to the story.

I am walking and see something.  It's a bridge.  I will try to cross it.  Then I fall through the hole in the bridge.  I try again and again to cross. 

I try to tear grass with my teeth to cover the holes.  Then I get across. 

Some kids taped the paperclip for an experiment and forgot about it. 

It gets windy.  The wind pushes me.  All the ants are in the ant hole and can't help me.  I try to get to the and hole but I can't.  I make shelter with grass but it blows away. 

I climbed a wall, which was hard because of the wind.  So I went slow.  I get to the top then climb down.  The wind stops.  Sun is out.  I see giants, I am scared!  I scurry and see other bugs then I chill. (That's laying down-he tells me)
The end. 


Little Dragons wants to tell a story of a spider. 
I don't give Little Dragon an object because he is younger and it would distract him from the story.

The spider is wearing socks then throws them in the water because he didn't like them, because they were blue. 
The spider crawls up and up and up to reach more socks.  He finds blue and red socks.  He puts them on.  Now he is all dressed.  He is read to work. 
He works on his spider web then goes home. 
He climbs on the wall and bites people.  He crawls up to sleep. 
The end. 

Doll Dragon wants to be a brown and red spider. 
I gave Doll Dragon a gem for her story starter.


I see something shiny.  I think it's a dance party.  It bust be big inside. 
I think it may also be sticky.  I walk to the shiny.  
I see a red ant.
I get to the shiny thing and see myself when I look at it.  I think I am pretty.  I wrap myself up in my web. 
The End.



In addition to these stories you can have the kids draw a picture to go along with their stories.  Only Summer Dragon was interested in doing this.  Doll Dragon also went last, she has the shortest attention span and did not want to continue telling her story while the other kids played.

This activity could also be done as a group story where each person tells a different part of the story.

You could also give the kids an object and ask them all the different uses an ant/bug would have for this object.

Being something else can be a lot of fun to think about and explore!




Thanks for reading!  Check out more of my bug activities here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elephant Faces

Elephant Faces (masks) We used:  Three paper plates Paint or markers Paint brushes Stapler Scissors Yarn First paint the bottom of the paper plate.  While the kids painted I cut the other paper plate in half for the ears. Using the third plate I cut out the textured part of the plate to make the trunks.   Paint (or color) the rest of the pieces.  Staple them together to make an elephant. Cut out small holes for eyes and small holes behind the ears to attach the yarn. Now that the lesson is over I have the masks hanging in the playroom.  They make a neat decoration. 

Painting With Squirt Guns

We did this as a Fathers Day project, but it fits in outside play perfectly.   I liked this for Fathers because it was an interactive activity for the kids to do with Jerry to celebrate him and the time they enjoy spending with him. I filled 1 gun with yellow paint and 2 guns with black paint.  The squirt guns we used were from the dollar store and had a decently big hole to pour the paint into.  Some squirt guns have itty bitty holes that make squirting paint into the gun very difficult. Taped off the canvas...and made the kids pose Then the guns were handed to the kids and dad.  Instructions were to shoot the canvas not each other. Very simple. Start squirting!   The squirting went on and on.  I refilled the guns a couple times so the activity could continue.     Jerry also took time with each Dragon to squirt with them.  With a Star Wars theme we were looking at having black as the primary color and yellow as the secondar

Mini Story Boards

Mini Story Boards We used:  Foam Cookie sheets Magnets Paper I found the cookie sheets at the dollar store and loved the idea of the kids telling their own stories using movable magnets.   I cut out flowers with the foam (you can cut out any design and use construction paper instead of foam) and little people then stuck a magnet to the back.  I cut out bugs and stuck magnets to the back of those too.    Then I drew little scenes that would inspire a story and put them on the cookie sheet.  One demonstration and their imaginations took off on their own :)