Skip to main content

Wrapping Up Water (end of week 12)

I was right to be excited about the letter W.  My Dragons had a blast finishing up our activities.  There were many things we did not complete because of the reasons in my last post.  We did some preschool during the weekend but not enough to get everything in.

I decided to go only 1 week on this letter and plan to keep up on that.  I am just late in posting.

To see the full lesson plan and the activities I missed visit motherhoodonadime.

Bible
Theme play for our bible story this week was making a pretend whale and acting out the story.  My Dragons loved this.  Like loved it.  We had it up for 4 days!  I think it really helped them remember the story of Jonah and the Whale.

There were also small story pieces available for play. 
This didn't hold the attention as long as the bigger whale.  Doll Dragon wanted to make a some of her own small pieces, which I had planned on doing, but I sent the W folder with her to her moms.  The activity was inside the folder. :/.  




Alphabet
The dragons painted their letter W's with water colors.  As they painted we talked about water.  
When they dried the dragons cut them out and we added them to our alphabet wall. 
Little Dragon drew water on a small rectangle to add to our explorers map. 
Little Dragon worked briefly on his letter W folder.  
 Because Doll Dragon did not have her folder I knew I wouldn't get Little Dragon to sit and complete the work.  He may also feel that it wasn't fair that he be working and her not.  I didn't have time to magic up a new one.

To my surprise though Doll Dragon thought it was not fair that Little Dragon had his folder and she did not. She wanted to do the work inside her folder.


One activity inside the folder was a number matching game with cars for Little Dragon.  He was very excited to see this page inside his folder.  












Numbers
My Dragons made their number 7 flashcards.  

They collected all of their flashcards for a review game.   I had them lay them all out in front of them.  When I called a number they would slap that flashcard (kinda like slap jack) and add it to their pile.  
We played like this once.  It was more difficult for Little Dragon.  He didn't get any cards.  So I separated  their flashcards and put 1-7 in front of each of them.  I called out the number again and they had to slap it.  
This was still difficult for Little Dragon.  He was having a hard time identifying his numbers. I would keep telling him to try again until he guessed the right number or I would allow him to move his hand 2x before calling a new number.  Eventually all the numbers were off the table. 











To wrap up the number 7 My Dragons painted water drops on their 7 worksheet using a wine cork.  (which also starts with the letter W)


Science



Click here to be taken to the link.


Craft
Indoor Snowman
Materials

  • construction paper any color will do
  • black or blue marker
  • cotton balls
  • glue
  • pom pom's 
  • googly eyes


I saw this craft on another blog in December and loved it!
I think it is darling.

With all the snow we have been getting the kids are begging to go outside to build a snowman.  Unfortunately our house has noses running all over.  Until we catch them and get them back in place I told the kids we had to stay inside.

This craft was great for winter and water.

Step 1:  Draw an outline of your snowman.  Doll Dragon drew a small outline and Little Dragon drew a big one.

Step 2: Glue on the cotton balls

Step 3:  The snowmen of course need buttons.  Glue some pom poms onto the cotton balls.

Step 4: Googly eyes get glued on too

Step 5:  Give the kids free rein with the markers.
At  first wanted to My Dragons wanted to draw arms and hats.  Then it turned into beds for the snowmen and then the page was a huge storm.

Step 6: Tape in desired place.  I taped them on the window so the sun shines through the paper a bit.  With the storms on the pages the project is kind of dark.  I like the look of the sun shining through.



I would love to read any comments you leave behind :)






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elephant Faces

Elephant Faces (masks) We used:  Three paper plates Paint or markers Paint brushes Stapler Scissors Yarn First paint the bottom of the paper plate.  While the kids painted I cut the other paper plate in half for the ears. Using the third plate I cut out the textured part of the plate to make the trunks.   Paint (or color) the rest of the pieces.  Staple them together to make an elephant. Cut out small holes for eyes and small holes behind the ears to attach the yarn. Now that the lesson is over I have the masks hanging in the playroom.  They make a neat decoration. 

Painting With Squirt Guns

We did this as a Fathers Day project, but it fits in outside play perfectly.   I liked this for Fathers because it was an interactive activity for the kids to do with Jerry to celebrate him and the time they enjoy spending with him. I filled 1 gun with yellow paint and 2 guns with black paint.  The squirt guns we used were from the dollar store and had a decently big hole to pour the paint into.  Some squirt guns have itty bitty holes that make squirting paint into the gun very difficult. Taped off the canvas...and made the kids pose Then the guns were handed to the kids and dad.  Instructions were to shoot the canvas not each other. Very simple. Start squirting!   The squirting went on and on.  I refilled the guns a couple times so the activity could continue.     Jerry also took time with each Dragon to squirt with them.  With a Star Wars theme we were looking at having black as the primary color and yellow as the secondar

Mini Story Boards

Mini Story Boards We used:  Foam Cookie sheets Magnets Paper I found the cookie sheets at the dollar store and loved the idea of the kids telling their own stories using movable magnets.   I cut out flowers with the foam (you can cut out any design and use construction paper instead of foam) and little people then stuck a magnet to the back.  I cut out bugs and stuck magnets to the back of those too.    Then I drew little scenes that would inspire a story and put them on the cookie sheet.  One demonstration and their imaginations took off on their own :)