Skip to main content

W is for Whale

I do have to say I am excited about week 12-letter W.  There are so many things you can do with water!  Crafts, science, and sensory!

It is already Wednesday and we have only achieved 1 day of preschool due to the weather.  Because school was canceled Doll Dragon went to her moms to spend time with her sister and I had a Visiting Dragon.  I decided to allow Little Dragon and Visiting Dragon play for the day to give them a snow day.
Then we had another snow day.  Regardless, I had full intentions of doing preschool today but Little Dragon did not show up until lunch time.  This put a big hold on our schedule.

Because of the above reasons I am posting about 1 day of lessons and a day activity that we did today.


Bible
Our story this week is Jonah and the Whale-perfect for water!
I love this story and the lessons it teaches.
We talked about obedience and trust after the story.  Also God's forgiveness.

Bible Verse:  Our God is slow to anger and full of unfailing love.
                                                                                   -Jonah 4:1

We listened to Who Swallowed Jonah at least 4x.  The dragons loved the song.  I do have to say it was quiet catchy.

Netflix has a Jonah and the Whale movie.  I think it is baby Einstein but me and the dragons enjoyed watching it.  It was very mellow.




Craft
Painting with water
Materials

  • construction paper
  • water
  • paint brush
Supply the dragons with the supplies and let them explore painting with water.  
I love how simple this craft was. 


The dragons just painted the whole paper with water.  Soaked it with their paint brush.

I encouraged them to paint a picture, such as an ocean, river, some sort of body of water.  After I say this they all tell me that is what they did.  Their whole paper is an ocean of course.  *shakes head*.

All dragons asked for a second piece of paper and went about soaking it again, or making an ocean.

I decided to demonstrate.  Perhaps if they saw a water painting it would encourage them to paint something on their paper instead of painting the paper.

I painted a whale with a stick figure in it's belly.  The dragons liked it but were not interested in trying something similar.

After the water dries it leaves an indent in the paper.  It looked pretty cool.  As if the paper were stamped without ink.  I did not get a picture of it though because it is hard to see on camera.  If you use more water and go over your picture a couple times the indent would be greater and look pretty neat.
When the ocean paintings dried the paper just looked very stiff.


Alphabet
To introduce the letter W I showed the kids a wooden W puzzle piece and Doll Dragon demonstrated the sound.  I asked the dragons to think about words that started with W while I gathered the materials for the above craft.

Once they brainstormed the word water I introduced the craft.

The motion this week is holding up three fingers to look like a W and say 'w-w-water'.



Number
Week 12's number is 7.  I showed the dragons the number 7 flash card and passed it around.  Then each dragon counted 7 animal crackers for their snack.  When they finished their first 7 they counted 7 more.

We also played a game (below) that had 7 rings.




Games
I wanted to do a Valentines craft Monday to kick of the holiday festivities.  I was ready to sit the kids down and make nice decorations for the windows.
They were not.
The dragons were so full of energy that I had to change our plan.

I pulled out some rings the kids made last year for ring toss game and a random paper heart I found in my scrap paper and taped them to the floor.  I then taped a partially finished Valentines craft I was working on to the floor for the throwing line.

The rules:
Throw the bean bag into a ring or on the heart.  There were 7 targets.
Jerry and I incorporated a point system more for our entertainment then the kids.

I gave Doll Dragon (the first up) 4 bean bags and the game began.


The dragons also went fishing! 

Of course we talked about water while playing.  We also briefly talked about fish starting with the last weeks letter F.
The fish have numbers on 1 side and sight words on the other.  Once the child catches a fish they must identify the number and/or read the word to keep the fish.  The child with the most fish wins.  I don't usually focus on a winner.  We play until the kids get bored.


Dramatic Play


I set up this bakery shop for a winter/Valentines activity. 
I borrowed a heart cookie cutter from a friend and added a snowman and snowflake cookie cutter too.  This was very last minute but the kids loved it.
I added an star ice cube tray, tongs, aprons, cookie sheet, playdough, and some old Scentsy  bars to the table.
There are so many pretend ways to play with the Scentsy cubes.  The boys put them on top of the playdough as big sprinkles and pizza toppings.  I thought they made great pretend fudge.  They still have a little scent and added an additional sensory experience.

This was entertaining for the boys for a couple hours.  They made cookies for each other to buy and ice cream with the play dough kit.




Daddy Folder
This was a simple folder.  Inside was a piece of construction paper, a print out of Sonic and Tails, scissors, and a marker.  It took a couple minutes to cut out the cards and draw the Tic-Tac-Toe board then it was time to play.

This was a fun folder to watch.  Jerry commented that it was is favorite.


I am on to find more games to make for the Daddy Folders.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elephant Faces

Elephant Faces (masks) We used:  Three paper plates Paint or markers Paint brushes Stapler Scissors Yarn First paint the bottom of the paper plate.  While the kids painted I cut the other paper plate in half for the ears. Using the third plate I cut out the textured part of the plate to make the trunks.   Paint (or color) the rest of the pieces.  Staple them together to make an elephant. Cut out small holes for eyes and small holes behind the ears to attach the yarn. Now that the lesson is over I have the masks hanging in the playroom.  They make a neat decoration. 

Painting With Squirt Guns

We did this as a Fathers Day project, but it fits in outside play perfectly.   I liked this for Fathers because it was an interactive activity for the kids to do with Jerry to celebrate him and the time they enjoy spending with him. I filled 1 gun with yellow paint and 2 guns with black paint.  The squirt guns we used were from the dollar store and had a decently big hole to pour the paint into.  Some squirt guns have itty bitty holes that make squirting paint into the gun very difficult. Taped off the canvas...and made the kids pose Then the guns were handed to the kids and dad.  Instructions were to shoot the canvas not each other. Very simple. Start squirting!   The squirting went on and on.  I refilled the guns a couple times so the activity could continue.     Jerry also took time with each Dragon to squirt with them.  With a Star Wars theme we were looking at having black as the primary color and yellow as the secondar

Mini Story Boards

Mini Story Boards We used:  Foam Cookie sheets Magnets Paper I found the cookie sheets at the dollar store and loved the idea of the kids telling their own stories using movable magnets.   I cut out flowers with the foam (you can cut out any design and use construction paper instead of foam) and little people then stuck a magnet to the back.  I cut out bugs and stuck magnets to the back of those too.    Then I drew little scenes that would inspire a story and put them on the cookie sheet.  One demonstration and their imaginations took off on their own :)