Skip to main content

Tuberific Tube Racing

For this summer I have been trying to do an activity a day then letting the kids play the rest of the day.  :)

I downloaded a calendar from Motherhood on a Dime with ideas that I have been referencing when I don't have any. Mostly I only have to substitute the days there are outdoor activities because it has been raining and grey for a week.  :/

Monday we played with story cards for over an hour!
I found this picture on google images to give you idea of
what the cards look like

Story cards are double sided picture cards.  You can play the game in a variety of ways.  We played this two different ways.

First I dealt each person 5 cards.  1 player starts the story and then everyone takes a turn laying down a card using it in the story.  
I allowed a couple sentences per card for the kids.

Second we put the stack of cards in the middle of the table.  Each turn we would pick up the top card and have to add what we pulled to the story.  Thus eliminating the choice to use what works easiest in your hand and allowing more room for creativity.

The second way ended up working better and the story was more elaborate because the kids had to create a way for the object to come into the story.

This game was also great for the kids to learn to accept others ideas.  Usually between the ages of 4-6 kids want to pretend 'their way' and have a hard time combining different ideas.  With this game  each child had to wait their turn to insert their ideas and listen to others tell their stories without inserting or interrupting.  

We also had pom pom races with tubes on the walls. 
 I set up an easy 'track' and hard 'track'.  The easy track had a bigger container to catch the pom poms, where the hard track had a small container.

There was giggling, running, and cheering with this activity.  It was also something the kids could continue to come back to for the remainder of the day. 




Tuesday the kids played with play dough.  

I didn't plan for this as the activity but the kids asked to play with it and I thought, why not?

Later in the day Athena and Vera were bored and asked me if they could do another activity.  I thought this was the perfect time to pull out the file folders.

File Folder Games

Vera chose Nutrition and sorted the food according to their food groups. 


 Athena chose Animals.  She sorted the animals by types.  She also sorted the plants from the animals. 

I am happy I had these on hand.  




Wednesday we did not do an activity because we spent the majority of the afternoon at the grocery store.


As the summer continues so will our activities.  
Stop by again to see more! :)







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elephant Faces

Elephant Faces (masks) We used:  Three paper plates Paint or markers Paint brushes Stapler Scissors Yarn First paint the bottom of the paper plate.  While the kids painted I cut the other paper plate in half for the ears. Using the third plate I cut out the textured part of the plate to make the trunks.   Paint (or color) the rest of the pieces.  Staple them together to make an elephant. Cut out small holes for eyes and small holes behind the ears to attach the yarn. Now that the lesson is over I have the masks hanging in the playroom.  They make a neat decoration. 

Painting With Squirt Guns

We did this as a Fathers Day project, but it fits in outside play perfectly.   I liked this for Fathers because it was an interactive activity for the kids to do with Jerry to celebrate him and the time they enjoy spending with him. I filled 1 gun with yellow paint and 2 guns with black paint.  The squirt guns we used were from the dollar store and had a decently big hole to pour the paint into.  Some squirt guns have itty bitty holes that make squirting paint into the gun very difficult. Taped off the canvas...and made the kids pose Then the guns were handed to the kids and dad.  Instructions were to shoot the canvas not each other. Very simple. Start squirting!   The squirting went on and on.  I refilled the guns a couple times so the activity could continue.     Jerry also took time with each Dragon to squirt with them.  With a Star Wars theme we were looking at having black as the primary color and yellow as the secondar

Mini Story Boards

Mini Story Boards We used:  Foam Cookie sheets Magnets Paper I found the cookie sheets at the dollar store and loved the idea of the kids telling their own stories using movable magnets.   I cut out flowers with the foam (you can cut out any design and use construction paper instead of foam) and little people then stuck a magnet to the back.  I cut out bugs and stuck magnets to the back of those too.    Then I drew little scenes that would inspire a story and put them on the cookie sheet.  One demonstration and their imaginations took off on their own :)