Skip to main content


Almost a week of rain kept us inside.  Today the sun was out and it was hot!
We haven't dove into the new letter lessons yet so I was grasping for ideas. 

Jerry bought me flowers a couple weeks ago and sadly it was time to throw them out.   As I was looking at the flowers I realized I couldn't let them be thrown out when there was potential for learning. 

I took the flowers out of the vase and set them on the grass next to a pot I am not using yet.  I called the kids over and they went about discovering flowers. 
They smelt them. 

Planted them
 And picked off the petals of some.
They enjoyed this activity for over 30 minutes. 

I relaxed in the warm sun while they discovered and turned some music on with my phone. 
In no time shoes were off and we were dancing in the grass! 

Wednesday was my 'Kid's Day', the day I did or played what the kids wanted too.  Our schedule has changed.  Athena's bio mom has been reliable for 4 weeks now and has been picking Athena up on schedule which means Wednesday it is just me and Spence. 

I decided I would use the day to work on things Spencer needed to practice. 

First we played matching.  This is a concept I still don't think he grasps.  
We are working on it :)

Spencer really enjoys working in the workbooks.  I took one out and we focused on the Letter A.  
I noticed Spencer recently recognizing letters and sounds. 
In the 'classroom' we have gone over the letter A so this activity was more of a review. 

After putting an eraser on the letter a's Spencer asked for more erasers so he could match the colors. 



Popular posts from this blog

Paint Squirt Gun Fight

I was waiting for the perfect opportunity to do this activity ever since I saw a post about painting with squirt guns.

Paint squirt gun fight!  And it was AMAZING! 
I first bought an 8 pack of large boys white t-shirts.  I wanted the shirts to fit all of the kids and I wanted them to be able to save the shirts for the future. The 8 pack was perfect.
I filled the water guns up with paint and a pinch of water.  Each gun had a different color so we could determine a 'winner'. 
I squirted each 'player' with their color first.  So they knew their color and to demonstrate where to aim. 

Talking about the aim was very important.  All of the kids involved were 4 and above.  Aim had to be in the tummy or the back.  No faces, bottoms, heads/hair, or legs. We didn't want paint in eyes, noses, or mouths. The other places would be more difficult to clean and giving two aiming places was simple.����������������������������������������������������������������������������������������…

Teeth Craft

This craft went with our meat eater unit you can see here

I was having a difficult time thinking of activities for meat eaters.  I didn't want the sole focus to be on dinosaurs because carnivores and herbivores is a way to categorize many animals today. But everything I was running into was dinosaur related. 
Finally I found this craft! 

paper template of a carnivore and herbivore (I drew a hippo and t-rex head outline) page of teethscissorsgluemarkers

Little Dragon cut out the heads and then the mouth pieces. 
Then he cut out the teeth and glued them inside the mouth
To finish it he drew eyes on the head and a tongue on the inside of the mouth. 

Little Dragon was very excited to see the finished animals and open their mouths to look at their teeth.

We wrote what the animal was on the inside

This was a fun easy craft that helps identify the difference in the teeth between carnivore and herbivore.  It is a visual reference that can be used again and again.  It can also be used for…

Elephant Faces

Elephant Faces (masks)
We used: 

Three paper platesPaint or markersPaint brushesStaplerScissorsYarnFirst paint the bottom of the paper plate.  While the kids painted I cut the other paper plate in half for the ears. Using the third plate I cut out the textured part of the plate to make the trunks.  
Paint (or color) the rest of the pieces. 
Staple them together to make an elephant.
Cut out small holes for eyes and small holes behind the ears to attach the yarn.

Now that the lesson is over I have the masks hanging in the playroom.  They make a neat decoration.