Skip to main content

Tea Party


I will be trying to plan a group activity for the elementary school kids once a week.  

I am doing this to give them something to look forward to each week and to help with some of the after school chaos.  It also helps the kids relax and let go of the stressful school week. 

Youtube video explaining the tea party


This week we had a Tea Party! 
I watch two kids aside from my own during the school week and I also invited some cousins to join us for tea. 

I asked that the girls wear dresses 


And the boys wear collared shirts

I did talk to the kids about traditional tea parties.  That ladies and gentlemen would get together for tea and sandwiches and socialize. 

We briefly talked about what behaviors ladies and gentlemen show. 

So the kids tried their best to be gentlemen and ladies :)



They even held out their pinky's!

Supplies
  • 2 tea sets (found at good will)
  • mint candy centerpiece
  • tea sample box 
  • serving tray
  • spoons
  • napkins
Not many supplies are needed to throw a tea party.  Of course you can go as extreme as you want and decorate as fancy as you'd like but I was trying to keep it simple. 

To make the mint centerpiece I bought two different mint types. One type had more vibrant colored mints, the other were more pastel. I also bought some dark chocolate mints, because who doesn't want dark chocolate. 

My centerpiece dish was too big for the amount of candy I bought so I placed a glass in the middle of the dish upside down to take up some space.  I ended up having the perfect amount of candy to fill the dish this way. 


For food I made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and ham and cheese sandwiches.  I cut each sandwich into quarter triangles.  This making each sandwich more of a finger food and giving the kids the option to eat some of each. 




Before the kids came downstairs we set up the tea cups and the table.  They giggled as they entered the room! 




I don't have a tea kettle so we warmed up some water on the stove and ladled it out into each cup.  Then the kids picked their tea bags. from the sampler. 

They added their tea bags and then passed the sugar cubes around and each took 2.  They stirred their tea and oohed and ahhed at the color change. 



Then it was taste testing time! 


Most of the kids enjoyed their tea, it was pretty much hot punch.  There were a couple who didn't like it and we gave them some punch.  After their first cups we allowed a second cup of tea or a cup of punch.  

The kids drank their tea ate their sandwiches, then enjoyed some mints and cookies.  


Tea party success! 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elephant Faces

Elephant Faces (masks) We used:  Three paper plates Paint or markers Paint brushes Stapler Scissors Yarn First paint the bottom of the paper plate.  While the kids painted I cut the other paper plate in half for the ears. Using the third plate I cut out the textured part of the plate to make the trunks.   Paint (or color) the rest of the pieces.  Staple them together to make an elephant. Cut out small holes for eyes and small holes behind the ears to attach the yarn. Now that the lesson is over I have the masks hanging in the playroom.  They make a neat decoration. 

Painting With Squirt Guns

We did this as a Fathers Day project, but it fits in outside play perfectly.   I liked this for Fathers because it was an interactive activity for the kids to do with Jerry to celebrate him and the time they enjoy spending with him. I filled 1 gun with yellow paint and 2 guns with black paint.  The squirt guns we used were from the dollar store and had a decently big hole to pour the paint into.  Some squirt guns have itty bitty holes that make squirting paint into the gun very difficult. Taped off the canvas...and made the kids pose Then the guns were handed to the kids and dad.  Instructions were to shoot the canvas not each other. Very simple. Start squirting!   The squirting went on and on.  I refilled the guns a couple times so the activity could continue.     Jerry also took time with each Dragon to squirt with them.  With a Star Wars theme we were looking at having black as the primary color and yellow as the secondar

Mini Story Boards

Mini Story Boards We used:  Foam Cookie sheets Magnets Paper I found the cookie sheets at the dollar store and loved the idea of the kids telling their own stories using movable magnets.   I cut out flowers with the foam (you can cut out any design and use construction paper instead of foam) and little people then stuck a magnet to the back.  I cut out bugs and stuck magnets to the back of those too.    Then I drew little scenes that would inspire a story and put them on the cookie sheet.  One demonstration and their imaginations took off on their own :)