Skip to main content

Melting Stars

It has been difficult for me to keep up with posting of late. I have been distracted planning for the upcoming preschool year.  I told myself I had more time then I do and I am feeling the pressure of having everything ready.

I found a great resource for lesson planning early in the summer and was very excited to use the lessons as a base.  They focus on God's word which is important to me.  Lessons here.
Last year was my first year doing preschool.  I started without many resources or research.  I just wanted to get started with something.
Since I began this journey I have found many other moms who do similar things as me and have found many great inspiring ideas!
Towards the end of the school year I was much better at planning, prepping, and conducting lessons but still felt there was room for improvement.
I am proud to say I am where I want to be now with my planning.  Instead of planning once a week for a whole two weeks I plan to have (am on week 9 now) all 28 weeks planned before the start of the year.
I know having things planned and written out ahead of time will help me with daily activities.

I am feeling very excited!  The kids have also had a couple sneak peaks into the lessons and are very excited as well :).

The best thing about it I think is that I have encouraged and inspired my sister to teach her preschool aged children at home as well.  Plus she will be learning about God and the bible along with them and that makes me very excited!

Well not that I have gotten all of that excitement out I want to share with you a couple things that have been keeping me busy outside of the lesson plans.

Last week we had a box of fireworks left over from the 4th.  With nothing better to do and the kids begging to go outside we decided to head out into the heat and light em up! 




They loved it!  They were so excited to see the colored smoke.  Jerry tried tying three of them together to see if we could mix the colors but it didn't end up working. :(
The best part though was when the smoke started drifting towards the kids and they were not sure what to do.  They kinda stood there giggling then backed up a little then ran away screaming scared.
After some smoke bombs and pop its there weren't many other fireworks to do during the day, we wanted to save them for when it was dark.
The kids were getting bored quickly and it was hot!
I went inside and grabbed my colored ice cubes from the freezer. I always have a batch ready to go for times like these :).

We discussed why the ice melted and we experimented with the ice to if it melted faster on the sidewalk or the grass.  In the shade or in the sun.

Spencer didn't quiet understand the concept and kept asking where his stars went.

We played adventurers through the trails.
The best part of this was when were passing a family on the trail and Spencer tells him we are looking for the Dragon Castle.  The little boy stops in his tracks, eyes wide and says "there is a dragon castle!"
I reply "Yes! we are trying to find it."
Jerry "Did you see one up this way?"
Little boy "No"
Vera "Here is another dragon foot print it must be this way!"
And we start heading off as the parents of the little boy chuckle and move him in the direction they were traveling.
We received many smiles from other families while we adventured, not coming out of character the whole time.  I hope it inspired other parents to live and play more freely with their kids.

Perhaps we didn't practice ABC's or 123's during our adventure but we worked our problem solving skills. :)

Have you ever played pretend with your kids and stopped worrying about what other parents would think? I would love to hear your stories!




Comments

  1. Fun! WE have a tray of these sitting in the freezer too. Just may have to pull them out today :) Found your post on G+. Now following! Colleen at Sugar Aunts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the follow! :) I am following you too. I look at your blog for ideas often. Hope you had bunches of fun with your ice too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Elephant Faces

Elephant Faces (masks) We used:  Three paper plates Paint or markers Paint brushes Stapler Scissors Yarn First paint the bottom of the paper plate.  While the kids painted I cut the other paper plate in half for the ears. Using the third plate I cut out the textured part of the plate to make the trunks.   Paint (or color) the rest of the pieces.  Staple them together to make an elephant. Cut out small holes for eyes and small holes behind the ears to attach the yarn. Now that the lesson is over I have the masks hanging in the playroom.  They make a neat decoration. 

Painting With Squirt Guns

We did this as a Fathers Day project, but it fits in outside play perfectly.   I liked this for Fathers because it was an interactive activity for the kids to do with Jerry to celebrate him and the time they enjoy spending with him. I filled 1 gun with yellow paint and 2 guns with black paint.  The squirt guns we used were from the dollar store and had a decently big hole to pour the paint into.  Some squirt guns have itty bitty holes that make squirting paint into the gun very difficult. Taped off the canvas...and made the kids pose Then the guns were handed to the kids and dad.  Instructions were to shoot the canvas not each other. Very simple. Start squirting!   The squirting went on and on.  I refilled the guns a couple times so the activity could continue.     Jerry also took time with each Dragon to squirt with them.  With a Star Wars theme we were looking at having black as the primary color and yellow as the secondar

Mini Story Boards

Mini Story Boards We used:  Foam Cookie sheets Magnets Paper I found the cookie sheets at the dollar store and loved the idea of the kids telling their own stories using movable magnets.   I cut out flowers with the foam (you can cut out any design and use construction paper instead of foam) and little people then stuck a magnet to the back.  I cut out bugs and stuck magnets to the back of those too.    Then I drew little scenes that would inspire a story and put them on the cookie sheet.  One demonstration and their imaginations took off on their own :)