Skip to main content

Silly, Sneaky Elf!

The past two days some silly things have been happening around the house.

Yesterday was the first day since Thanksgiving we have had both of our kids.  We started our advent calendar and had our first ever visit from an elf at the North Pole!
(I am in love with the Elf on a Shelf idea but am unable to spend $30 on an elf.  Instead the elf leaves clues behind to let the kids know he is here but they never catch a glimpse of him.)

Day 1
I have big magnets the kids can manipulate on the fridge.  They put together Santa and a Christmas tree.  I found them at Target for $1.  Well the dragons spent some time putting together the magnets then headed upstairs to play.  I rearranged the magnets so they were no longer together and all over the front of the fridge and then quickly followed the kids upstairs.
We were upstairs for awhile before the kids wondered back downstairs.  When they saw the fridge they ran upstairs to say 'someone' had messed up their magnets.  They were all blaming each other trying to figure out who done it.
Jerry and I asked them questions to prove all of their innocence.  Such as "was that person downstairs by themselves?"  "Did you see them do it?"  The answer to theses questions was no.

Then I told them it must have been that mischievous Elf! I told them he visits everyday to make sure the kids are on good behavior to report back to Santa.  This time he must have left a clue that he was watching to make sure our house was full of good listeners.
Let me tell you I had awesome behavior the rest of the day.


Day 2
The Elf was super sneaky today.  I am surprised we didn't see him at all!  While me and Little Dragon walked a few feet to the kitchen to hang up some art The Elf sneaked right past us and dumped out Little Dragons crayons all over the table!  When he went to sit back down at his desk he saw the mess. He looked at me confused.  He is only 3 and it will take a couple times for him to catch on.
I asked him "Did you do that?"
He said "No."
I said "Of course not you were in the kitchen.  Hmm... Did I do that?"
He said "No you were in the kitchen with me."
I started to smile at him and then it clicked.
"The Elf!  That silly, sneaky Elf!  Why did he dump out my crayons?  Crayons are supposed to stay in the box. *shakes head* Silly Elf!"

There was 1 crayon still left in the box.  Little Dragon found this funny.  Together we cleaned up the mess while discussing why and how The Elf did this.
The best answer... MAGIC!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elephant Faces

Elephant Faces (masks) We used:  Three paper plates Paint or markers Paint brushes Stapler Scissors Yarn First paint the bottom of the paper plate.  While the kids painted I cut the other paper plate in half for the ears. Using the third plate I cut out the textured part of the plate to make the trunks.   Paint (or color) the rest of the pieces.  Staple them together to make an elephant. Cut out small holes for eyes and small holes behind the ears to attach the yarn. Now that the lesson is over I have the masks hanging in the playroom.  They make a neat decoration. 

Painting With Squirt Guns

We did this as a Fathers Day project, but it fits in outside play perfectly.   I liked this for Fathers because it was an interactive activity for the kids to do with Jerry to celebrate him and the time they enjoy spending with him. I filled 1 gun with yellow paint and 2 guns with black paint.  The squirt guns we used were from the dollar store and had a decently big hole to pour the paint into.  Some squirt guns have itty bitty holes that make squirting paint into the gun very difficult. Taped off the canvas...and made the kids pose Then the guns were handed to the kids and dad.  Instructions were to shoot the canvas not each other. Very simple. Start squirting!   The squirting went on and on.  I refilled the guns a couple times so the activity could continue.     Jerry also took time with each Dragon to squirt with them.  With a Star Wars theme we were looking at having black as the primary color and yellow as the secondar

Mini Story Boards

Mini Story Boards We used:  Foam Cookie sheets Magnets Paper I found the cookie sheets at the dollar store and loved the idea of the kids telling their own stories using movable magnets.   I cut out flowers with the foam (you can cut out any design and use construction paper instead of foam) and little people then stuck a magnet to the back.  I cut out bugs and stuck magnets to the back of those too.    Then I drew little scenes that would inspire a story and put them on the cookie sheet.  One demonstration and their imaginations took off on their own :)